Refresher Training Requirements
An evaluation of an operator’s performance must be conducted every 3 years. You should also provide refresher training under the following circumstances if an operator has been:
- Observed driving in an unsafe manner.
- Involved in an accident or near-miss.
- Received a hands-on evaluation that indicates unsafe driving.
- Assigned to a new piece of equipment.
- Subjected to a change in the workplace environment.
To see the complete OSHA regulation 1910.172, click here.
Retention of records confirming an employee’s training on aerial equipment must be kept 4 years. Therefore, it is recommended to retrain operators every 4 years.
Many companies choose to implement a best practice of refresher training every 3 years as required for forklifts, especially if their warehouse has a mixed fleet.